Wednesday, August 06, 2008

FAQ

FAQ 1: How did you do on the MCAT, Sev?
I did well on the MCAT! Yahoooooo! For those of you who don't believe in miracles, well, let's just say this is a prime example. You should have seen how nervous I was to check my scores online. My hands were literally shaking. Once the numbers popped up on the screen, I just jumped and ran around the house for about 15 minutes yelling, with intermittent bouts of singing. Then, I ran to Soneeg, and made her check, just to make sure I hadn't gone dyslexic...I could hardly believe my eyes. It was a good day. I proceeded to celebrate my scores for the next few weekends, surely killing many of the braincells that assisted in said score.

FAQ 2: Well, Sev, what are you doing now?
Let's be honest, I am still celebrating...a lot. After the last semester I had, I feel I deserve it. You could sum up the pre-MCAT days with a Nada Surf song:

I had the blankest year,
I saw life turn into a T.V. show.
It was totally weird.
The person I knew, I didn't really know.

I used this summer as a sort of sabbatical, and feel much better as a result. Don't get me wrong, though. I also worked very hard this summer. I am working two part-time jobs in the medical center in research. I am also preparing for my last year at UH. Lastly, and most importantly, I am applying to medical school. Let me tell you, that has been quite a pleasure. [Insert sarcastic scoff here.] The funny thing is, when you tell people that you are applying to medical school, almost everyone likes to tell you how much they HATE doctors. They continue with personal little anecdotes about how horrible doctors are and how they were almost killed by one. I'm not sure how to take that. What's the polite response? "Umm...I'll try not to kill anyone" or maybe "Hey! You're right! Doctors suck. I think I'll be an artist instead." Well, if med school doesn't pan out, my back up plan has been and always will be to become a European vagrant.

No comments: