Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane or the Second Coming of Christ. Only time will tell...

This armageddon storm aka Hurricane Ike is heading right towards Houston in a couple of hours. Many have fled, but we Armenians are a strong people and we have decided to brave the weather.

All joking aside, we are taking this Hurricane seriously. All the preparations have been made: food, water, batteries, radio, medicine, pet care, vodka, etc. The house and cars are hurricane-ready. It is good to be prepared.

I think it's really interesting how your priorities come to light in a time of danger. A situation like this can easily become a life and death one, as we all learned from Hurricane Katrina. I know from experience that when your life is on the line, you let go of all the futile things in life and only the things you truly value come through. I love how throughout the entire city of Houston, businesses shut down and schools closed. What matters are the essentials: food, water, shelter, safety, and most importantly, family.

I watched my family band together as we always have. Everyone calls each other to offer help. The elderly are taken care of. I can't help but to feel joy as I see proof of the love we all profess for each other. I can't help but feel proud of my dad as he offers to help people board up their windows and get houses ready. My mom, in true Armenian-mother fashion, is cleaning the entire house. I tried to remind her that Hurricane Ike is not coming as a house guest, but she insists on having a clean house for the hurricane. This is one of my favorite quirks about my mommy!

I have to tell you though, I am soooo excited. I LOVE bad weather! I am so looking forward to hearing the wind howl and seeing the storm. It's not that I want a hurricane to come, but the fact is that it is coming and nothing can be done about it. Why not just enjoy it? So, we decided to have a Hurricane party, not to celebrate the hurricane, but to make the best of a situation that has the potential to be scary. Instead of being scared, we like to look at the bright side. Take the time to enjoy the power and wonder of God manifested in something like a hurricane. It's just another testament of the power of God, and how insignificant we all really are!


May everyone stay safe and sound.

No comments: