Saturday, December 16, 2006

NICU

I just scrubbed in on my very first surgery. Naturally, I touched nothing, but it was still the coolest thing ever!!! I got to watch a live c-section! I got to see a new life begin and it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

I shadowed my boss, a superb neonatologist, today. I got to see so many amazing and interesting things. Today really confirmed my desire to be a doctor. I want to be a part of that world. The people there are so smart and make such a huge difference. I shadowed in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). It was full of teeny, tiny, very sick premies. I also saw some babies who were recovering very nicely. I was really lucky though because I got to see so many really cool procedures done including a neonatal spinal tap and arterial line, an epidural, and the emergency admittance of a septic infant. I got to see all aspects of the doctor's life including the oncall room, emergencies, dealing with hurting families, and going on rounds. It was a absolutely amazing experience. I can't wait to become a doctor. Wish me luck on my MCATs!

No comments: